Sunday, May 1, 2011

Journal 5

I read through Miriah’s blog and liked her designer research project very much. Since I had looked at architects for my research project, I was interested in reading about designers in a different field and Miriah’s collection of Graphic Designers were definitely interesting. I think I enjoyed reading about Milton Glaser because he was able to actually leave his mark on society in a permanent way; his I “heart” NY is not just a phrase, it is a symbol, a statement, and a cultural tradition recognized by people around the world. The ability to create something meaningful and lasting through design is a rare gift afforded to a few. I also liked her post for Marian Bantjes. As Miriah mentioned, there are only a few recognized female designers in comparison to their male counterparts; however, Marian Bantjes has become well-known for her feministic style of design which is even more uncommon.
I also thought that Miriah did a good job of finding designed faces. I can’t say I did as well as she had. I definitely liked her pick of the Wii wheel remote but my favorite was the first one which seems like what you find in elevators (though I don’t think that’s where she found this face). To see details of Miriah’s posts, click here.
The second blog I looked at was Jocef’ and I noticed that I may have forgotten to post the method for finding our clues for Assignment 3 but I guess it’s too late to write about it now. However, I have to tell both Jocef and Miriah that I’m not in the architecture program, though I did study architecture for about 2 years some time ago J . My favorite part about Jocef’s blog was his 2nd Course Reflection. It seems that his take on the videos we watched for environmental design was the same as the authors of Cradle to Cradle. I think that was one of my favorite classes as well but I liked it mainly because it showed the variety of places that inspiration for design can come from (like Miriah said). I also love the car mustache for the found faces assignment; it's not something you see every day! I guess it is a sign of his creative mind that he enjoyed the snow mustache on the car enough to take a picture and save it until now. To see details of Jocef’s blog, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment