Monday, April 11, 2011

Journal 2

This is an image of the packing material used to ship fragile dishes I ordered. I found the pattern interesting because it's repetitious and uniform in construction but can stretch, compress, or extend to the form that it is wrapping.

This is an image of the material covering my paper lamp. The weave pattern is interesting to me because it's uniform in both the horizontal and vertical directions but the weave can be combined or extended to make the shape that you like.


This is a close-up of my fridge door. This crack pattern is continuous and organic but it's been used to give the fridge a matt effect rather than shine. I find the ability to use a pattern to create not just a "look" but a "finish" to be interesting.

The cracking pattern on the tree bark was intriguing because it was almost like seeing the naturally accuring form of the above fridge pattern. They both are the same cracking pattern but one is much more pronounced and aggressive than the other.

This is the material used to cover windows and make them opaque. I found this pattern interesting because as you can see it's not easy to photograph because it is reflective. The pattern used to create this material is purely derivative of its function. The geometric pattern helps create an undulating surface that reflects the light and distorts the image beyond; therefore, it is used for its functional abilities more than its aesthetic appeal.

This is the material used for a paper lantern. I found the construction process for this material interesting. It does not use a calculated method like weaving, scoring, or gridding; it is simply compressed. The compression cannot be a very controlled process; however, it seems to have created a fairly regular pattern.


I found this photo on http://aquafornia.com/archives/9276. This is an interesting example of a manmade pattern that could be considered almost unintentional. From a ground level, this pattern is nearly impossible to visualize but from an aerial view, it is a fairly regular and premeditated pattern. It speaks to the subconscious need of us as human being to find order in most everything (even our land).

I found this photo on http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2009/04/aerial-photographs-parking-lots.html. A parking lot is something we see every day that is always based on a distinct and premeditated scheme or pattern. But the interesting part about the layout of parking lots is that they are specifically chosen to optimize the number of vehicles around. They again are derivative of their function.

I found this photo at http://www.superstock.com/stock-photos-images/1566-0146308. Honeycomb has a very geometric pattern that makes it structural and durable. I think it is also one of the few organically produced forms that is entirely geometric which is very interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Wow you have fantastic posts-this design payyern one is by far my favorite, never even thought of posting a honeycomb....mad creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I ran out of things I could photograph myself so I started looking around online and found this one :)

    ReplyDelete